Monday, January 19, 2009

Hello Everyone

Thanks to everyone who reads this...I really appreciate the support from back home. The past two weeks have been filled with various events that I hope I will learn and grow from. I have made some friends and am enjoying my classes. Sorry, I don't have any new pictures.

I am aware of God's goodness that I should be writing this blog post about my adventures, because I have been seriously ill twice in the past week. First, I had some sort of infection they said it might be salmonella. So I went on Cipro from last Monday until Friday. Then, on Saturday, I woke up really REALLY sick...(I don't want to think about it) and eventually went to the ER on Saturday night. They say I have cholera, which is often spread by shrimp. NO, I did not eat any raw seafood--

But, my host family hosted an enormous birthday party on Saturday night, and on Friday afternoon they were peeling a huge quantity of raw shrimp. It must has gotten to me somehow. Cholera is very treatable, with proper hydration (IV) and antibiotics and other medications, but it can have very severe consequences if it not treated. For that reason, I am very thankful God impressed upon me my need to go to the hospital.

Right now, I am doing much better. I am super-exhausted and I haven't been sleeping well, but I took the day off of school and am hoping to sleep most of today. I am laying in my bed, eating my first bits of solid food--although it is simply gruel--and not really that solid at all. (Oliver Twist type gruel--haha)

I can't express how thankful I am to God for protecting me this weekend, and for showing me many mercies which helped me get through to this point. It makes me cry just remembering how good he has been to me. From my host dad to Heather to the ER docs to getting me through the past two nights. It is amazing what God can do.

Please keep praying for me. It is hard for me not to feel a little scared to have to stay here for roughly 4 more months, but God is surely in control of everything both here and in the US. Love you guys,

Kiki

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Motherhood is like the Scouts...I earned the "your daughter is gravely ill and far, far away" badge this weekend. and several more gray hairs. God is so Good!!

Sara said...

I am SOO glad God protected you! I was praying hard that everything would be ok. Love you, and get well soon!