Thursday, March 5, 2009

hello from a land far away

Hi everyone, I am going to try to write a post...

My life has kind of been revolutionized recently. On Monday, I moved out of the house that I was staying in because we were having issues. I didn't want to post about it before just in case they would see my posting. They didn't feed me basically and what they did feed me was often unable to be eaten. I have a picture to prove it. Also, they left me alone and didn't speak to me. hehehhehe it was very sad, but God miraculously provided another home--this time a Christian home for me to stay in. The owners are Salome and Giselle-a mother and daughter. They are very sweet Christians who love to pray God. They are very involved in home-missions and hosting pastors as well. They have opened up their lovely home for me and I am very happy there.

Last Saturday, I went to a soccer game with our friend Maria, the maid at the ex-host family's house. It was an awesome experience! We were the only gringas. We actually got lost trying to find the elementary school were the game was held, but we finally found it after asking about 4 guards. Maria plays football on a soccer league both in Bella Vista and in the South. She is really good! We are thinking of going to her game again this Saturday. The one thing I didn't like about the game was that the parents didn't watch over their kids exactly like moms and dads do in the USA. The children here are very strong and independent--but they also got hurt by flying balls. This one baby was laying on the sidewalk next to me drinking his bottle. He almost got horrible hurt by a flying ball that was pummeled two inches or less away from his head. He could have been killed. I sat really close to him after that and tried to protect his head, but then I actually got a ball in the rib cage. After the game, they had bought a bottle of apple soda and with one communal cup they drank it. A little girl ran around the field with the soda and the glass, until this man got it fromher. He offered it to every one- babies, the soccer players, and the spectators. He gave me a glass too, but I couldn't bring myself to drink out of a glass the fifty people had just been drinking from, so I poured it out bit by bit when no one was looking. I felt honored to be offered a glass of the precious apple soda.

The other day, I was riding the bus and for the first time I saw a man give up his seat for an old market woman. I also saw this guy give money to a beggar near our school. I ran up to him afterwards on the sidewalk and said that he was very kind. He turned around and smiled and said, "it wasn't kind, it was human." Also, the day I moved out of that house, I was pretty stressed out. I kept having in my mind this bible verse, "Dios es nuestro amparo y nuestra forteleza" "God is our refuge and our strength." Well, the next day (Tuesday) I read it--Psalm 46. When I went upstairs, over breakfast, Salome was encouraging me and she quoted the same verse to me! When I got on the bus after breakfast, I had my eyes closed most of the trip cuz I was like "whoooa" kind of stressed but more like in awe of what God was doing. My eyes were half open, and I was praying, and suddenly I was reading the words of Psalm 46 written on the bus wall. I was amazed. It said the very same verse that had been running through my head for the past two days. I wished I could have taken a picture. Later that day, when I told Heather about it, I said, "And the bus had Psalm 46 written on the wall..." She was shocked, because she had read that Psalm that morning too.

I couldn't help thinking about this song by S and G.

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenements halls and whispered in the sounds of silence.

Psalm 46

1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

8Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salmos 46
1DIOS es nuestro amparo y fortaleza, Nuestro pronto auxilio en las tribulaciones.

2Por tanto no temeremos aunque la tierra sea removida; Aunque se traspasen los montes al corazón de la mar.

3Bramarán, turbaránse sus aguas; Temblarán los montes á causa de su braveza. (Selah.)

4Del río sus conductos alegrarán la ciudad de Dios, El santuario de las tiendas del Altísimo.

5Dios está en medio de ella; no será conmovida: Dios la ayudará al clarear la mañana.

6Bramaron las gentes, titubearon los reinos; Dió él su voz, derritióse la tierra.

7Jehová de los ejércitos es con nosotros; Nuestro refugio es el Dios de Jacob. (Selah.)

8Venid, ved las obras de Jehová, Que ha puesto asolamientos en la tierra.

9Que hace cesar las guerras hasta los fines de la tierra: Que quiebra el arco, corta la lanza, Y quema los carros en el fuego.

10Estad quietos, y conoced que yo soy Dios: Ensalzado he de ser entre las gentes, ensalzado seré en la tierra.

11Jehová de los ejércitos es con nosotros; Nuestro refugio es el Dios de Jacob. (Selah.)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Wow, that's terrible that family wasn't feeding you or talking to you! I'm so glad you're with someone else now. That's also amazing about Psalm 46-it's so cool to see God working in our lives. Love ya!

Tracey said...

aww...come home and Mommie will feed you!